Tuesday, April 30, 2013

A Confession From A Hair Stylist

I am a hair stylist.

When that sentence escapes my mouth people automatically assume I live and breathe hair. I do love doing hair and I do spend a fair amount of my 'free' time reading/looking up things about hair. After all, it is my profession of choice. Living and breathing it? So far from the truth.

I don't actually want to stay late at work doing someones hair. I've been there 10 hours. We are closed. Get out. I don't want to do your hair on my day off. I don't care if you are paying me or not. I definitely don't want to do your hair if you are wanting it done for free. Of course, there are exceptions to those rules. Family, another hair stylist, or a cute guy. I'm game. Lets do it.

I don't know everything there is to know about hair. Wait, what? Yes, that is right. I'm not a walking hair encyclopedia. I don't know why your hair is thinning out. I don't know why your hair grows uneven. I don't know why your friends brothers sister mother hair won't grow. I just don't know.

I also don't know how to do everything involving hair. Sure, I can learn these things and most of the time I do. Ask me to french braid your hair down the middle and I might laugh in your face. Ask me to start your french braid on the side of your head and I'm your girl! See? Not a hair wizard.

Sometimes I really just want to tell people these things but I can't. They don't mean anything by it. They probably have no idea. Smile and move on.

If it isn't obvious I have had a long day at work.
I'll be feeling hair-tastic tomorrow.
Sometimes you just run low on faith and gasoline.

2 comments:

  1. Guess I won't be asking you about what would be a great hair style for me ;o)
    (That's the question my hair styles hates the most from me)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I don't mind that question! Some people need help! Haha

      Delete