Sunday, April 28, 2013

Eye Took It Off

I was pretty reluctant to wear make-up when I was a teenager. My best friend likes to joke that she practically had to hold me down to get me to wear it. Once I was off and running with it I don't know if there were many days where I didn't wear make-up. I have never worn a lot of make-up. It all looks fairly natural minus the eyeliner. I have been an eyeliner lover and wearer since the beginning of my make-up time.



I felt weird without eyeliner on. I didn't feel like me. To even drive the point home when I did brave the world without my usual eyeliner I would get told that I "looked funny" and people would ask me if I was tired or sick. I think that if anything at all had more to do with never leaving the house without a full face on. I wanted people to think I was pretty and I felt like without my eyeliner I would never achieve that.

I've had a lot of things happen recently in my life that has just left me drained. To the point that I rarely want to get out of my PJ's let alone put on my trusty eyeliner and other make-up. Don't worry about me, though. I'm a trooper. Anyway, that has left me with another problem. Facing the world without make-up or rather without as much make-up. Honestly, I'm not ready go all the way. I'm not that brave...yet.



So, I went a week without my eyeliner. I went out of state. I saw family. I saw friends. I went to work. I went to doctor appointments. I went to my child's school. I went shopping. I have done everything I normally do and I have done it fine. I lived. I made it through. I didn't die because I didn't have my eyeliner on. I got complimented. I got insulted. It was a pretty scary adventure. Don't even think for a second this is a silly matter.

This isn't a post about caring about what people think about me. This isn't a post about how awful I think make-up is now.

It is just about me being comfortable with me.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful picture! I have never been a make up wearer - it's just never been my thing. I think you look beautiful either way. The important thing is that YOU think you are beautiful either way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say you look great without makeup. Wish I looked that good without makeup. I always look like I have cold or just woke up if I do not wear makeup.

    Ali of

    www.dressingken.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look really fresh and pretty! I rarely wear makeup, but that wasn't always so. It's easier in France where so many people don't wear it. But I have lots of days where it's difficult to get out of bed too and it might do me some good to put some on, just for the boost that little extra effort gives.

    ReplyDelete