10 Ways To Survive A LDR(Long Distance Relationship)
Or At Least How I Did It
1. Love Letters. I didn't actually snail mail him because most of the time he was on the go but love lettered in the email way to him. He love lettered me right back. It was fun and cute to wake up to them because of the time difference and when we were on the same time it was still just amazing to get them. He sent postcards of the places he went to so that was a plus, too. It was romantic.
2. Trust. My advice is no matter what trust in the other person. Don't doubt them. They love you and they want to be in this with you otherwise they just wouldn't be. Who has a LDR for fun? No one.
3. Skype. Oh, his face. His sweet handsome face. Skype made it possible to see it quite often! Our favorite was falling asleep to each other on skype. It was wonderful. Make skype your best friend.
4. Read a book together. I promise this isn't as boring as it sounds. We read Gone Girl at the same time. We also tried to read The Beautiful And The Damned but I don't think either of us finished it. It was really fun reading a book at the same time. We talked about it while we were reading it and even after. Gone Girl is going to be a movie so we are excited to see it together!
5. Buy a questions book. I bought 4,000 questions to getting to know anyone and everyone . We just went randomly through the book and ask the questions. We really got to know a lot about each other that we might not have ever known if not for this! It was a lot of fun and made us feel closer.
6. Set a time to talk. When we were on different time zones he had to got up hours before he had to go to work to talk to me. I sacrificed a little sleep as well. It was special and important knowing we were making time for each other. It doesn't have to be skype. We used gmail chat and facebook on the non skype days.
7. I love you's. Never let the other person forget how much you love them. Tell them every day. Tell them a 100 times a day. Scream it. Shout it. However you do it just do it.
8. Pictures. When you FINALLY get a chance to see other. Take a lot of pictures. I felt so much more at peace with the situation when I had pictures of us to look at. They brought back memories and made me think about the memories we were going to make when we saw each other again.
9. Date nights. This might seem weird because you are long distance but having date nights with each other is fun. We were always suppose to watch the same movie at the same time but we never ended up doing that. We got busy talking and the hours went by every time. We had some amazing date nights.
10. The struggle makes you stronger. I had this in the back of my mind the whole time. Being in a LDR makes your relationship grow leaps and bounds. More than you could imagine. You have to fight everyday to be in a relationship that isn't easy. Trust, loyalty, honesty, and respect will be the values your relationship is based on. Those sound like pretty solid things, right?
After almost a year of my long distance relationship has come to a close. He is home. Hopefully for good but I know we could survive distance if it needed to happen again. It has been quite a journey. An adventure all around. Now we are on to the next chapter: How to survive being around each other all the time. It will be quite an adjustment but I'm sure we can handle it!